Ian F. Mann, P.A.
FREE Consultation :

domestic violence Archives

Escaping from financial abuse

Your financial reputation is important for many reasons, such as when you need to convince Florida financial institutions that you are a trustworthy individual who makes regular debt payments and handles money responsibly. Unfortunately, an abusive partner or spouse can do serious damage to a person’s financial reputation. The consequences can leave someone's good name in tatters and also make it difficult to break free from the abuser.

Five types of restraining orders you can get in Florida

Restraining orders deal with a wide range of violent issues. If you are a victim of violence, you will find there are different types of protection orders in Florida which you may choose from to best fit your situation. A restraining order may not keep an abuser from contacting or hurting you, but it will give you the opportunity to contact the police to report a violation of the order.

How can I get a restraining order?

If you are a victim of domestic violence or have been threatened or harmed by someone else, then you may wish to file for a restraining order in Florida. Often referred to by the court as an injunction, this order allows you to legally prevent a person from coming near you or contacting you, according to the Lee County Clerk of Court. It is important to note that when you file for an injunction, you must provide details and information about yourself and the situation. The other person will also get a copy of all of this information. 

Why do people have a hard time leaving an abusive relationship?

You have probably heard stories of people in Florida who have been severely injured by a partner. You may even have wondered why the person stayed in the relationship. This is a common thought for people who have never been in an abusive relationship. It is difficult to understand. However, there have been some reasons found through learning more about the dynamics of such a relationship.

What happens domestic violence is reported?

Law enforcement in Florida take domestic violence situations quite seriously. If you call them to report an incident, you should expect immediate action. According to the University of Florida, domestic violence is considered criminal and not civil. This means that if law enforcement is called and there is evidence of what happened, someone will most likely go to jail. It also means you no longer have control over what happens if you were the one reporting the incident. The prosecutor will take over and press charges even if you do not want that to happen. 

Can you be fired for a domestic violence charge?

If you are facing a domestic violence charge in Florida, your whole world may be turned upside down. You may wonder if everything in your life will be impacted, including your employment. Unfortunately, there is no clear answer. It depends a lot on your employer and equal employment laws.

Know what qualifies as domestic violence

While many Florida residents are only familiar with the physical form of domestic violence, the truth is that there many different actions that can be considered a type of this kind of abuse. If you have been accused of this crime, you may be wondering whether what you did is actually domestic violence. We at Ian F. Mann can fight for your rights and ensure that you are treated fairly in a court of law.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Send Your Information Today »

Ian F. Mann, P.A.
1424 Dean Street
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Toll Free: 866-416-1488
Phone: 239-935-5935
Fax: 239-332-5242
Fort Myers Law Office Map